Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Day 34 of 4: The Sparkle Box (12/10/12)

Day 34 of four more years (originally posted on Facebook on December 10, 2012)


Do you know about the Sparkle Box? Earlier this month I posted about a fairly new Christmas tradition called the Elf on the Shelf. It turns out to be fairly controversial… and if you check old posts, you can see all that. I do believe it is all in fun, but some people believe that anything that takes our focus off the Baby Jesus is wrong. And I certainly get that. But last week I was challenged by our BSF leader's lecture when she suggested we replace or start a new tradition that is in keeping with the real meaning of Christmas. So, I remembered the new gift I had purchased for the grandchildren.

"The Sparkle Box!" It is a lovely book by the same title written by Jill Hardie. I purchased it back in the fall from my Crossings Book Club, but I feel like it is widely available. I bought a copy, set it aside because it was still Halloween, and just a couple of weeks ago, I picked it up and read it through. The book even has a Sparkle Box in the back of the book for you to assemble. After reading the book and shedding a few tears, I decided this was an awesome idea, and ordered two more copies, gave one to Lauren and still have one for Jill.

This is the story: A young boy named Sam sees a sparkly box on the mantel the first day of December. After he inquires about the beautiful box, his Mom replied, "It is a special gift, called a Sparkle Box. We'll open it together, but we have to fill it first." All through the story, as the weeks before Christmas unfold, Sam and his family do generous things. They take food and blankets to the homeless shelter, give money to dig water wells in Africa, hand out mittens and candy to a needy man and celebrate at a birthday party for the baby Jesus. On Christmas eve, the family gathers around and opens the box full of slips of paper describing the unselfish acts Sam and his family had done during the holiday season. His Mom explains, "Sam, the Sparkle Box is our gift to Jesus on Christmas Day, His birthday."

I just love this simple exercise of love. Children, no matter how young, understand gifts and even by the age of 3 or 4 can realize Christmas is not their birthday (unless it really is!). If you are interested in this lovely tradition or replacement of one you already practice, go to www.TheSparkleBox.com. for information and ideas or to share your own Sparkle Box story. By the way, you don't even have to buy anything. You can hear the story on the website and make your own box. I hope this idea is a blessing to you. So like the Wise Men in the story of Jesus' birth, we too can bring gifts to the Christ Child, and like the Little Drummer Boy, we can give Him our best! By the way, I have my own Sparkle Box! Can't wait to put some love in there!

"Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for Me." Matthew 25:40

Pray: 
Dear Jesus, thank You for coming to be a light to our world. Help us to give gifts to the needy and suffering, in honor of Your birthday. For You taught us the true meaning of Christmas as You gave the perfect gift of Yourself. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment